A car battery charger is a handy device to have. It will help you get your car started when the battery gets drained. This may be caused by leaving the lights on for too long while the car isn’t running, not turning off an electronic device, or the battery may be faulty or old. A car battery charger helps to boost the battery so as to allow it to deliver adequate power to the starter.
Over the years, many types of chargers have been designed. Some are more suited for lead-acid accumulators, others for deep cycle batteries, while there are those that work with any kind of battery. While finding a charger is easy, knowing which the best for your particular need is is a bit hard. These top 10 best car battery chargers in 2017 reviews and buyer’s guide are aimed at people who desire to be better equipped when buying a charger.
- Top 10 Best Car Battery Chargers in 2017 Reviews & Buyer’s Guide:
- 10. Schumacher SE-1052, Manual Charger/Starter
- 9. Schumacher SE-5212A, 2/10/50 Amp Automatic Handheld Battery Charger
- 8. BLACK+DECKER, BC15BD Battery Charger
- 7. Schumacher SSC-1500A-CA, Car Battery Charger
- 6. Schumacher SSC-1000A, Car Battery Charger
- 5. Schumacher SC-600A-CA, Battery Charger
- 4. Schumacher SC-1200A-CA, SpeedCharge
- 3. NOCO, Genius G3500 Ultra Safe Smart Battery Charger
- 2. NOCO, Genius G750 Ultra Safe Smart Battery Charger
- 1. Stanley J5C09 1000, Peak Amp Charge
Top 10 Best Car Battery Chargers in 2017 Reviews & Buyer’s Guide:
Pre-purchase Consideration to Finding a Good Charger
As earlier stated, finding a charger is the easy task. The more difficult challenge is knowing if the identified accessory is right for your need. I mean, who wants a unit that is too small, delivers low amperes, or produces lots of noise ?Also, no one wants a unit that overheats, works erratically, or shows the wrong voltage or charge. Choosing the appropriate unit takes the following issues into consideration:
- Size: The charger should be of the right size- not too large or bulky or too small such that it gets overwhelmed/ overworked.
- Capacity: The charger is matched to the battery depending on the capacity. A high capacity battery (100 amps or more) requires a bigger charger compared to a low capacity type (50 amps or below.
- User friendliness: A good accessory will come in a simple design and will also be easy to use. It will be suitable for both newbies as well as experienced persons.
- Extra Features: Top products will do more than just charge car batteries. They will also serve as power packs/boosters or inverters.
- Brand Reputation: General advice is to go for well-known and respected brands. Many manufactures give long warranty on their products and also good support.
10. Schumacher SE-1052, Manual Charger/Starter
- By: Schumacher
Start your car easily even when the battery is drained by acquiring the Schumacher S-1052 charger. Designed for different car batteries including lead-acid, gel or sealed batteries, this unit trickle charges in 2 amps, charges fast using 10 amps, or starts the car using 50 amps. It features 3-functional switch for selecting the desired charging mode.
- Charges fairly fast without damaging the battery
- It provides decent power to jump start a car
- Suitable for different batteries including gel and lead-acid
9. Schumacher SE-5212A, 2/10/50 Amp Automatic Handheld Battery Charger
- By: Schumacher
This car battery charging unit by Schumacher is suitable for standard 12-volt batteries. It’s made from high-grade plastic and comes with LED indicators for monitoring performance. You can use the 2 amp mode for slow/trickle charging, 10 amp mode for fast charging (3 to 5 hours), and 50 amp mode for boosting or jump starting a car. The automatic handheld charger also protects the battery from overcharging.
- The decent and portable size makes storage and carrying easy
- The led indicators help in monitoring the charger state as well as protecting the battery
- Using the charger is relatively easy even for first-time users
8. BLACK+DECKER, BC15BD Battery Charger
- By: BLACK+DECKER
With this car battery charger, you will never get stranded due to a drained battery. You also should not wait for too long for a battery with a low charge to get charged. The Black + Decker BC15DB offers 15 amps for charging on the bench, and 40 amps for emergency engine start. It is based on 3-stage charging technology that is both fast and safe and patented battery and alternator check. The Battery charges Gel, AGM, WET, deep cycle and other battery types and comes with a convenient LCD display.
- Good design and strong construction makes the charger last for long
- It charging speed and time is shorter than most of its rivals
- Efficiently charges most automotive and marine batteries in he market
7. Schumacher SSC-1500A-CA, Car Battery Charger
- By: Schumacher
The Schumacher SSC-1500A-CA- car battery is very popular. It’s suitable for most 12-volt car batteries and comes with battery clamps. The unit is rated at 75 amps and features a digital meter displays, retractable handle, and system diagnosis for checking the charger’s status. The Electronic push-button switch assists in choosing the charge rate, display mode, or battery.
- Fast charging and easy to use
- It is well designed, compact and also easy to carry
- It’s energy efficient and consumes minimal energy even when charging rapidly (15 amps)
6. Schumacher SSC-1000A, Car Battery Charger
- By: Schumacher
This charger by Schumacher not only charges drained car batteries but also maintains them. Despite its simple design, the SSC-1000 provides 2 amps for trickle charging batteries or slow charging slow batteries, 10 amps for quick charging, and 50 amps for boosting. It comes with a digital meter for easy reading, electronic push button for selecting different functions, and system diagnosis.
- Compatible with most 12 volts in the market
- Using the charger /booster is simple and straightforward
- Well-built and lasts for a long time
5. Schumacher SC-600A-CA, Battery Charger
- By: Schumacher
The Schumacher SC-600A-CA Speed Charge is rated at 6 amps and is fit for different batteries. It works with Gel, sealed, lead-acid/wet and more. The fully automatic unit comes with a microprocessor that automatically regulates the amperage. This not only improves efficiency but minimizes battery and charger damage. It also comes with reverse hook up protection, auto voltage Detection, and float mode monitoring.
- Works well with both 6 and 12-volt batteries
- Fairly silent and light compared to other types
- The construction is better than other alternatives and can withstand regular use
4. Schumacher SC-1200A-CA, SpeedCharge
- By: Schumacher
Rated at 12 amps, the Schumacher SC-1200A-CA Speed Charge is liked for its simplicity and effectiveness. It works with both 6 and 12-volt batteries and is fully automatic. The unit comes with a 3 A maintainer, 6 A charger, and 12 A rapid charger. Choosing the desired mode is straightforward. It automatically selects the best amperage for maintaining or charging and also comes with float mode monitoring.
- Charging speed is among the best
- Easy to use thanks to the LED indicator
- The cables are of good length and also strong
3. NOCO, Genius G3500 Ultra Safe Smart Battery Charger
- By: NOCO
With the NOCO Genius G3500 Ultra Safe Smart battery charger, you no longer have to fear getting stranded because of a drained or dead battery. This 6V/12V 3.5A Smart charger will charge batteries with capacities of up to 120Ah both lead-acid and deep cycle. It’s suitable for batteries used in motorcycles, ATVs, lawnmowers, cars, RV, marine, and more. The charger uses cutting edge technology to detect the charge status and automatically chooses the best solution. Other than the normal battery, it also works with CANBUS electrical systems and micro-hybrid vehicles.
- The charging time is pretty decent
- Comes in a small, compact and portable unit
- The charger is light, and its rubberized base provides good support
2. NOCO, Genius G750 Ultra Safe Smart Battery Charger
- By: NOCO
The NOCO Genius G750 will boost 6 and 12-volt batteries. It is rated at 0.75 amps and will support lead-acid batteries whose ampere-hour doesn’t exceed 30Ah. The Ultra Safe Smart charger is also suitable for deep cycle batteries that are used in RV, marine, and off grid power systems. It is said to charge 2 times faster than other types courtesy of the innovative technology. It’s also very streamlined, lightweight and portable.
- The battery charge is resistant to moisture and water
- Carrying the unit is not very hard, and this is improved by is compact nature
- Works well with different battery types and sizes
1. Stanley J5C09 1000, Peak Amp Charge
- By: Stanley
Besides being a battery charger, the Stanley J5C09 1000 Peak Amp is also a jump starter. It’s revered for delivering high amperage within a short time with the peak amp being 1000. The unit delivers 500 amps for instant starting and features reverse polarity alert in case of wrong connection. It comes with a high-powered led light that rotates within 270 degrees, and USB and 12-volt charging ports for charging electrical devices. Also included is a 120PSI compressor that includes a back lit gauge.
- Superior charging and jump starting
- Its lightweight and compact design makes carrying and storing this charger convenient
- The charger and starter is well-built and reliable
A dead or drained car battery comes with lots of inconveniences. Firstly, you will be unable to start your car, and this may make you arrive at your destination late. Secondly, getting stranded in a remote location or late at night puts you and other people at risk.
Thirdly, you most-likely will suffer distress and become annoyed or angry. Fortunately, you can prevent these issues by investing in a good and reliable car battery charger. It will be of the right size, deliver adequate charge (voltage, current), work with different batteries, and is also easy to use.
Additionally, it will be fairly silent, well-designed, durable and reliable. The top 10 best car battery chargers in 2017 reviews should help select the best product in the shortest time possible. You will also enjoy peace-of-mind knowing these accessories are supported by positive reviews from customers.